Friday, June 15, 2012

Always Amazed


Do you ever look at your child and are amazed at how much they've grown and how quickly?

Looking at this photo of my son taken by my Dad on a dolphin cruise, I saw my child so differently in the picture, as if I'd seen him anew and was taken aback by how much older he looked.  My son had spent the week with his "Granddad Bob."  It was just the two of them and, while I missed Benjamin (something parents need to do from time to time), I was thankful for that time the two of them would have together.  Yet when Dad sent me this picture, I stared at my son with the realization of his growing up. I couldn't help but be reminded of the poem I read recently in Madeleine L'Engle's The Irrational Season and these lines from one of her poems in the book really hit me full force (especially having just watched my nephew graduate from high school):

Child,
give me the courage
for the time
when I must open my arms
and let you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment