Let's face it, one of the biggest obstacles for many people who consider adoption is financial. Adoption can be expensive. International adoption can cost upwards of $30,000. I know we didn't even consider for years because we thought we couldn't afford it. For those who are either considering adoption or are in the adoption process, here are some possible ways to raise money to help you pay the costs.
1. Sell things on-line, such as Craig's List or eBay. We have found better success selling items on Craig's List and have sold things like books and a violin.
2. Yard Sale. We are not only getting up items from around our own house, but people we know are offering to donate items for the yard sale since they know the money's going to the adoption.
3. We purchased a large box of candy bars from one of the major membership warehouses and my wife took them to work to resell them at a profit.
4. Although we have not tried this one yet, we are considering using the website:
This is a "global funding website" that people can use to raise money for everything from an adoption to buy some expensive gadget.
5. Apply for grants. In communicating with a lot of families who adopted children, we are amazed at how many of them didn't apply for any grant money. Here are some websites for grants:
- A Child Waits: They offer up to $5,000 for families adopting older or special needs children. http://www.achildwaits.org/
- Gift of Adoption Fund: They offer grants from $1,000 - $7,500. Family must be U.S. Citizens to apply.
- Grant Me a Chance: This organization offers grants for those adopting older, sibling groups, and children with special needs.
- Help Us Adopt: They offer grants up to $15,000.
- Lifesong For Orphans: Offers matching grants from $1,000 to $4,000, with one dollar for every dollar an applicant raises.
- Show Hope: Offers adoption grant awards each month.
Those are just a few of the grants available. Other suggestions for raising money for adoptions that I've seen on-line are having your own walk-a-thon with people pledging a dollar for every mile your family walks. Bake sales. Car washes.
We are prayerfully considering all of our options as we move forward in the adoption process.
For those who wish to partner with us, we have a donation button that is secure and all money will go towards the adoption. Prayerfully consider this. If you cannot financially help, we welcome your prayers for our family throughout this adoption.
For others considering adoption, below is a range of adoption costs according to the Child Welfare Information Gateway:
|Foster Care Adoptions||$0 - $2,500|
|Licensed Private Agency Adoptions||$5,000 - $40,000+|
|Independent Adoptions||$8,000 - $40,000+|
|Facilitated/Unlicensed Adoptions||$5,000 - $40,000+|
|Intercountry Adoptions||$7,000 - $30,000|