Saturday, September 22, 2012

Happy Birthday Dad!


When I was a little boy, I looked up to my Dad the way little boys do. You admire them for no other reason than him being your Dad.  As you grow older (out of the teen years), you begin to understand why you wanted to be like your Dad.  Then you get married and have a son of your own.  This really makes you appreciate, love, and sympathize with what it must have been like for him. You see just how hard parenting really is. You see how difficult it can be to support and raise a family.  You realize how much of a role model you are for your child even when you don't know that they're paying attention to you (and more often than not, paying closer attention to what you do more than what you say).

Now that I'm a Papa myself, I can call my Dad when I need advice or simply have someone laugh on the other end of the phone when I'm telling him, "Do you know what your grandson did today?" and then proceed to tell him, only to have him chuckle and tell me, "Sounds like somebody else I know" or "The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, does it?"

Also, as I grow older, I catch myself saying something just like my Dad says it or catching glimpses of him in the mirror when I'm getting ready in the mornings.  Dad has gone from being an abstract hero to being a real role model, someone I admire because I've actually gotten to know him.  It's true, I can't tag along behind him like I used to do, but I can follow in his footsteps to being   a great Papa to my own son.

I also like seeing how much Benjamin loves my father.  There is nothing that makes him happier than either hearing we are going to visit my Dad or that my Dad is coming to visit us.  He loves spending time with my Dad and my Dad loves spending time with him.  I love watching the two of them interact together.  I love that my son has a close relationship with his "Granddad Bob."  And I want Benjamin to see me have a close relationship with my Dad.

Every son wants their dad to be proud of them and every dad wants their son to be proud of them.  I am.  And I'm proud to be your son, Dad.

Today I will do more than wish my Dad "Happy Birthday," I will also say a prayer of thanks that God gave me such a wonderful Dad.  I really and truly am grateful.

Dad, thanks for all of your love, support, and encouragement.

Someday I hope to be you when I do grow up.

I love you.

Your son,

Elliott




No comments:

Post a Comment