Thursday, September 6, 2012

Schoolhouse Rock & Adoption

The other night, Benjamin asked, "So we were approved to adopt?"
"Yes."
"And our dossier's being translated into Ukrainian?"
"Yes."
"So we're getting closer to actually adopting a child?"
"Indeed we are."
I noticed that he had a tinge of sadness to him, so I asked, "What's the matter, buddy?"
"Can you play 'Three Is The Magic Number' for me?"

Now for those of you who didn't grow up in the 70's and 80's, on Saturday mornings the network ABC would show these educational, animated shorts in-between shows like "SuperFriends."  These shorts were called "Schoolhouse Rock."  Most people remember "Conjunction Junction" or "I'm Just A Bill."  But there was one of them called "Three Is The Magic Number" and it's something my wife and I have sung to our son ever since he was little.

The chorus goes:

A man and a woman had a little baby.
Yes, they did.
There were three in the family.
And that's the magic number.

"I'm going to miss that song," he sighed after I played it for him.
"Benjamin, that song will always be a part of our family.  You will always be our first child and even though there will be four of us soon, we won't love you any less.  We are just adding a new number to love in our family and you'll see that it will be magical, too."  This reassured him for now and I'm sure there will be many other times we will have to reassure him that our love for him will never change.

It's definitely starting to hit him that his life is about to change.


No comments:

Post a Comment