Monday, October 1, 2012

Change of Plans



It's funny to think that at this time last year, I was looking on-line to get ideas on where our family could go on our first big summer vacation trip.  Typically, our son has been in summer camps and the cost of those have negated our going anywhere beyond the beach.  Since he was now old enough not to have to go to a summer camp, we were finally going to have some extra money to take a vacation.  At first I researched into England, which is somewhere the literary part of me has always wanted to go (visit the homes of famous authors like the Bronte sisters or Wordsworth's Dove Cottage), but the cost and the fact that London was hosting the summer Olympics knocked that one from consideration.  

With England out of contention, Benjamin wanted me to look into a Disney cruise.  None of us have been on a cruise and the ads for the Disney cruises look awesome, so I investigated that option.  Once again, too expensive for us.  Then I researched other cruise lines.  Somehow a cruise seemed like a better trip for Danelle and I than one with Benjamin.

After looking at different cities around the country I've never been to but always wanted to visit, I ended up deciding on one that I've been to a few times and loved: New York City.  The idea of taking Benjamin to the Museum of Natural History (which he knew from the movie Night at the Museum), the Statue of Liberty, a real Broadway show, the Metropolitan Museum of Art (which he knew from our having read From The Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler), Central Park, and so many other cool things that the city had to offer made it a done deal.  I would just keep checking on-line for the best deals on the time that we wanted to go.  I was excited.  A real family vacation.  Taking Danelle and Benjamin somewhere neither of them had ever been to but had always wanted to go . . .

But God had other plans for our family.

Bigger plans.

Much bigger plans.

We went from planning a family vacation (ah, the travel books we perused and the travel videos we'd watched), to planning to adopt a child from another country.  Instead of us going away and bringing back souvenirs of our trip, we will be going to bring back a child to make part of our family.   If you had told me this was going to be the case, I would have laughed as Abram and Sara laughed.  Adoption wasn't even a consideration.  I have wanted to adopt for a long time, but Danelle had never been comfortable with the idea, mainly due to the costs.  Since I knew it would be a mistake to try and goad her into adopting, I let the matter drop and simply prayed, "God, if it's Your will for our family to adopt, then You will make all of our hearts open to it."  And He did.

So we went from reading guide books to books on how to be adoptive parents.  We went from planning a momentary trip to a journey that will take a lifetime.  We went from thinking about a place we'd enjoy visiting to having a child we would be loving as our own.

So instead of seeing this:


Well be seeing this:


Instead of bringing home this:

We'll be bringing home . . . 


. . . either a son or a daughter.

God is so amazing.

Isaiah hit the nail on the head when he wrote, "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord.  For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts" (55:8-9).

His plans were so much bigger and greater than mine.  

No comments:

Post a Comment