Thursday, October 25, 2012

Perspective


Feeling discouraged by our news yesterday, I flipped on the radio as I was making the bed, and Philips, Craig, & Dean's "You Are God Alone" was playing.  Once again, God used a song to speak to me right where I was.

In this song, they sing of how God is on His throne through the good times and bad.  That He is God alone.   The bridge then goes:

Unchangeable
Unshakable
Unstoppable
That's what You are

And He is.  

When the song finished, the radio announcer spoke of how Dan Dean (of Philips, Craig, and Dean) is battling prostrate cancer.  "You find out some devastating news, you get a phone call, you're standing in a corridor at the hospital, and in those moments, you have a choice to make," Dean reflects on learning he had cancer. "You can fall into doubt, and questions and fears. The temptation is there for all of us to do that. In the moments when I can't see God's hand, or see His face working in my life, I make a choice to believe that He's there, that He's involved in the daily affairs of my life, that He's in control, that He knows what I'm walking through."  Dan Dean, like he sings in this song, is trusting in a God who is there and never changes.  

After I had heard the disappointing news about how our dossier was "soft" rejected, I phoned my Dad.  I told him everything and he said he'd just gotten a prayer request e-mail from his church.  In that e-mail, it said a couple who'd just had their first baby discovered that their little boy was born with his spine exposed and the doctors weren't sure they could operate and fix this.  A time that should have been filled with such joy and promise is now full of heartache.

Another couple we know who were adopting a special needs child internationally, got to their country only to find out the child had died.  Now they grieve in the same way parents do a miscarriage and are wondering how they are going to proceed.

It's stories like these that put ours into perspective.  Ours is a minor blip, a delay.  Yes, we have to let go of the idea of our adopted child having their first Christmas with us at home.  But while we continue to hope for a child, our hope is in God alone.

It also shows that no matter what we are going through, no matter how difficult, God is still in control.  Joshua 1:9 says, "Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."




No comments:

Post a Comment