Monday, December 3, 2012

Preparations, Prayers, & Plans


We have been waiting in a hold period for awhile now so it's kind of overwhelming to finally be preparing to go to Ukraine.  The question I keep getting asked is, "Are you excited?  Nervous?"

Both!

All of us are filled with a mixture of anticipation, nervousness, joy, fear, and a whole host of emotions that we move through at different times.

There is sooooo much we still have to do to be ready to leave and this means a mad dash through next week to get everything ready for our departure.

Having grown up in the South, I do not have real winter clothes.  So we had to order Benjamin and I winter coats from Sierra Trading Post.  All of us got gloves, thermal underwear (Benjamin's are black which he tried on and ran through the house declaring, "I'm a ninja!"), and thick, wool socks.  We also got winter caps (mine makes me look like a Sherpa - so I'm sure there will be photos of me in it that I can post while we're there).  And we will be wearing these items since I checked on-line and the weather in Ukraine for when we arrive will be a high of 35 degrees and a 30% chance of snow.  Who knows, maybe we'll get ourselves a white Christmas while we're there?  That's something we rarely see where we live.

We are making sure that we have travel size versions of games, plenty of reading material (I got the first 4 books from the Game of Thrones series), puzzle books, and DVDs to play on our laptop.  If you have any movie, book or App suggestions, please send them in to us.

All of the posts I've read on adoption sites for those traveling to Ukraine is to pack light.  From what people have been telling me, we should just take a few outfits that we can mix and match.  It's going to be really fun to get everything to just a couple of suitcases and the bags that each of us will carry on.

I also read to pack my sense of humor since there will be a lot of stress involved, especially since we are taking our 12 year old son with us.  There are those who have suggested we leave him behind, but we know that, despite the extra stress this will cause (particularly when he's bored), we think it is extremely important for him to meet his sibling when we do, to see where his sibling is coming from, and to get another perspective on the world.  Like so many kids in this country, he's grown up in a bubble and he needs to see that everyone is not so blessed as we are.

Journals.  I have one for all of us so we can all document each of our perspectives on this trip.  Benjamin said we are not to tell each other what we've written but wait until we return home to read them aloud. I think that will be really interesting and fun to see how each of us approached the same events and places we go to.  Perhaps Danelle and Benjamin will even let me post some of their observations on the blog.

Peanut butter & snacks.

Our camera so we can take lots and lots of pictures.

Toilet paper and wipes.  Do I really need to go into why?

Those are just a few of the tips I've been given, if you have any of your own recommendations, please feel free to e-mail us at adopt4life@hotmail.com.  You can also e-mail us while we're there if you have any specific questions or would like to know more than what we'll post on the blog.

Again, we thank all of you for your continued support, encouragement, and prayers throughout this process.  We are grateful that so many people are taking the time to follow our adoption journey.



No comments:

Post a Comment