Sunday, January 13, 2013

Skype & Dry Erase Boards


Day before yesterday, we tried to Skype Danelle now that she's back in Kiev.  One problem.  Our computer is old and we didn't even think about the fact that, while we have a camera, we don't have a microphone.  So we heard and saw Danelle and Cava, but all they could do was see us.  Benjamin and I communicated through the use of the high tech item called a dry erase board.  Yeah.  That was not fun.

Not wanting to repeat that experience, we went to my sister's house to Skype Danelle on one of their laptops, which has the camera and the microphone built in. Wow, these newfangled gadgets are amazing!
And it was sooooo much easier than a dry erase board.

Cava was very, very excited to see us both times.

Yesterday, Danelle and Cava spent time with the Midkiffs.  Cava was well behaved and played with their kids.  At dinner, however, everyone noticed that Cava looked sad.  When they asked him, Cava said, "I want to be in America with my Papa and my brother." Yes, for those wondering, I teared up upon hearing this.

Cava also got to go to McDonald's for the first time.  Danelle ordered him the "Benjamin" standard: chicken nuggets, french fries, and a juice box.  And?  Cava hated it.  All of it.  She offered him some of her hamburger, but he refused, putting his hands up to block it.  When asked why, he replied, "It smells like diarrhea."  Yeah, I don't think Cava will be joining the millions of satisfied customers mentioned on McDonald's arches.



Something Cava was very proud of and had to show us repeatedly was the Cars backpack Benjamin and I had gotten him from Target.  I know that he's going to be thrilled over his new bed.

At one point, my Dad called and we held the phone up to the computer so he could hear Cava.  Danelle told him, "That's your Granddad," to which he said, "I love you Granddad."

As we are talking to Danelle, we can see Cava in the background doing flips on the bed.  We are definitely enrolling that boy in gymnastics.  Maybe we have a future Olympian on our hands.

It was sad when we had to say good-bye to them because we miss them both so very much.

Today they are having lunch with the Bergstroms and going sledding.  When Benjamin found out, his response was, "Hey!  That's not fair!  I didn't get to go sledding when I was there."  I immediately started singing "Interjections" from Schoolhouse Rock to him.

I am just thankful that we made friends like the Midkiffs and the Bergstroms while we were there and am grateful to them for their friendship and hospitality to Danelle and Cava.

No comments:

Post a Comment