Monday, April 8, 2013

A Room Of One's Own


As I've written before, there are many firsts that we missed with Cava, but there are also so much more that we get to be a part of.

Once Aunt Tiana had gone, we converted what had been our guest room into Cava's. He had been asking us repeatedly when he was going to get a room of his own and the day finally came.

Wanting to be a big helper, Cava used his Spiderman muscles to help Mommy and I take all of his belongings, including his bed and organize them in his new room.

He gathered his few little items and put them in the drawer of his bedside table.


Cava was so proud and had to show all of us individually. It was so cute the tour he gave and how he pointed out each of his toys, stuffed animals, and posters. He wanted to show everything off and to have us approve.

In Ukraine, at the boarding school where we met him, Cava shared a room with five other boys.


When he got to the U.S., we had him share a room with Benjamin since we thought that might help his transition go more smoothly.

But now, Cava wanted to have something he'd never had before: his very own room. A room that he didn't have to share with anyone.

After everything was set the way Cava wanted it, he had me take a photo of him.

Later, he came up to me, hugged me and said, "Thank you, Papa."

"For what, Cava?"

"My room," he beamed, "Thank you so very much."

"You're welcome, buddy."



When I checked on him an hour or so later, he was sitting on his bed, just looking around and his expression was, "Wow! This is all mine. Just mine."

2 comments:

  1. Love his expression in the last picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so wonderful,I can't imagine how much this means to Cava. I bet Benjamin doesn't mind getting his room back either!!

    ReplyDelete