Friday, May 17, 2013

Small Things


We have family photos all over the house and, most of the time, don't even think about or notice them. Then Cava arrived. He noticed that our rooms had these framed family photos but that his didn't. "Papa," he asked, "Photos for my room?"

So yesterday I went to Wal-Mart and had some of the photos I have on my camera developed and then bought some brightly colored frames that I knew he would like and made me think of Cava. Before he got home from school, I put the photos in the frames and then put them on his dresser.

Later, when I picked Cava up, I only told him I had a surprise for him at home. He tried guessing what the surprise could be: Puzzle? Spiderman?

I only told him, "You're just going to have to wait until you get home and see." The only clue I gave him was that the surprise was in his room.

As soon as I had the door unlocked and the alarm off, he dashed into the house and ran to his room. Before I could even get in there to see his reaction, I heard it. "Oooohhhhh. Papa I love my photos."

He had to take each one down to look at it and to tell me who was in each one.

Like so many things, Cava has to remind us of the importance of what we take for granted.

Something so small holds such big meaning for Cava. These photos framed and in his room meant that he is one of us, that he is a part of our family. They are more than pictures, they are symbols of love and acceptance. And he is definitely loved and accepted.


2 comments:

  1. I had a big smile on my face picturing Cava running to his room all excited :) I really do feel that framed photos are very powerful, they mean you are a family! You are so thoughtful to have them waiting for him when he got home from school.

    I can't wait to have little ones in our photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had tears of joy in my eyes while reading :)
    love your family!

    ReplyDelete