Monday, July 22, 2013

Cava & Seurat

As I've written before, I have been trying to stimulate, encourage, and open up Cava's imagination. He's told me that he never had access to crayons or paints or clay to work with back in Ukraine, so I have been trying to give him opportunities to use those in an attempt to give him other avenues to express himself.

Today I pulled out one of my art books on one of my favorite artists: Georges Seurat. While many may not recognize the name (as they would Monet or Van Gogh), they will probably know his most famous work entitled "A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte" (shown in the movie "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" and the subject of the Sondheim musical "Sunday in the Park with George"). A copy of this painting hangs in our living room. Here's what it the painting looks like:


I brought out my large book on Seurat by John Rewald and Cava and I looked through it at his amazing paintings. As we did, I explained to Cava how he was known for working in what is known as "pointillism," in that his paintings were comprised of dots of colors. He loved this and was like, "Wow, Papa," and he wanted to look more closely in order to see the dots. 

Once we had spent some time studying Seurat's masterpieces, we decided to work on one of our own. Working together, this is what we created and Cava is really proud of it, so I thought I'd share our Seurat inspired minor masterpiece.



5 comments:

  1. I love your picture! it's actually really nice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. A pointillism project is a great idea. "Sunday Afternoon" is enormously impressive in real life (worth a trip to the Art Institute of Chicago if you've never been).

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely gorgeous!! That is so special that you both made it together :) What a wonderful thing to teach your son.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Snapshots From Our Journey is a great blog, in which sharing the information about the Cava & Seurat . Really a great blog. Thanks for sharing it with us!!

    Snapshot from Video

    ReplyDelete