Thursday, July 18, 2013

Vacation Bible School


This week our church had its vacation Bible school. The theme was Colossal Coaster World: Facing Fear, Trusting God. The verse that was the focus of this was 2nd Timothy 1:7, "For God has not given us a spirit of fearfulness, but one of power, love, and sound judgment."

Benjamin was a guide for the first graders and it was Cava's first vacation Bible school. The first morning of VBS, I woke up to find Cava dressed and ready to go. He was disappointed to find out that it didn't start for a couple of hours. This excitement did not abate for the whole week and he loved going each day. I loved hearing him singing songs he learned as he worked on puzzles or was doing one of his activity workbooks.

Today was the last day of VBS and when I picked him up, as we were walking to the car, Cava told me, "I cried today."

Concerned about what happened, I asked him and, to my relief, he answered, "I didn't want Bible school to end. I want it every day."

When I asked him what he liked best, I expected him to reply "crafts" or "playing" but he said, "The Bible stories."

All of this culminated in the Colossal Carnival that they had, it was also a great outreach to the community.

There was free food, lemonade or water, sno-cones, games, and inflatables. Cava believes that the first should be last and he wanted to do the inflatables first. The bigger, the better.


First Cava:


Then Benjamin:


After moving on from a bouncy castle, Cava decided to tackle some food. First the hot dogs (he ended up having two):


Then nachos (again two):


Popcorn and sno-cones (three of those):


And then it was back to the inflatables:



He loved sitting in the firetruck, though he was disappointed they wouldn't let him turn on the siren.


And, last, face painting. Being the huge fan of Spiderman that he is, Cava wanted a spider painted on his neck and for it to look like it bit him just like it did Peter Parker.



As we were walking back to our car to go, Cava asked, "Will they do this again tomorrow?"  He was disappointed that they wouldn't until next summer. 

I'm glad he had fun, but even more so, I'm happy to hear him tell me that he likes learning about Jesus. While we read a children's Bible to Cava, I liked that vacation Bible school also gave us even more opportunities to share our faith and what we believe and why with him. I'm glad that he loves our church and that he feels the people there love him. That, to me, is one of the reason why it's important to be a part of the body of Christ.

And as Cava can't wait until vacation Bible school to come next year, I can't wait to see how he grows spiritually over this year as he learns more about Jesus as Lord and Savior. 






2 comments:

  1. Oh, one of the best blog posts I've ever read! I'm so happy for Cava!
    Praise the Lord he loved VBS! Love of God and importance of the Salvation is the most important thing we can instill in our children's hearts.
    God bless your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope I can do as good of a job educating my future children about God. I guess I will just have to bug you and Danelle for pointers!!

    PS. Can you please ask Cava the secret to his amazing metabolism?? I want to eat like that too!! :)

    ReplyDelete