Sunday, August 4, 2013

Tummy Babies


This morning, while we were getting ready for church, Cava asked Danelle, "Did you ever have any babies from your tummy?"

"Yes, Benjamin," she replied and she could see that Cava was waiting for more and so she continued, "Cava, you weren't born from my tummy but that doesn't make you any less special."

It was clear to her that Cava wanted to drop the subject, but she didn't. "God had a different plan. He brought you into our family in a different way, but that doesn't mean we love you any less than we do Benjamin. You don't have to be born in my tummy to be my baby, Cava. You are just as much my baby as Benjamin is and I love you both the same."

This was the first time the subject of being and not being a birth child has been broached by Cava, but I have a feeling it won't be the last. As his parents, we just need to let him know that he is our child and that he is and always will be loved. It's also a great way to begin teaching him about being adopted into God's family. As John 1:12 teaches us, "But to all who believed him and accepted him, he gave the right to become children of God."

1 comment:

  1. A very important convo to have indeed! I bet he could never hear that enough: that he is just as loved, just as special. :)

    ReplyDelete