Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Return to a Snowy Day


We don't tend to get a lot of snow where we live, so it's even rarer that we get snow just a couple of weeks apart. Cava said it was because Elsa was here (Yes, he, like so many others, is a huge fan of the movie Frozen). He then walked around the house singing, "Let It Go." Cava also said he wanted to build a snowman like Olaf. "He was soooo funny," he laughs just thinking about the "silly snowman."

Cava loves school and he hates to be out, whether it be a holiday, teacher's workday, or, as is the case for the last couple of days here, a snow day. So when it snows, he tends to get anxious. I notice a lot more rocking when he's stuck at home when he longs to be in school. To tide him over, we tend to print worksheets that he can do while he's home. Unlike me, he loves math and is extremely appreciative when we print math worksheets up for him. Just the mention that I'd print some up got me some serious Cava hugs.

Most Southerners upon hearing the word "snow" rush out and buy bread and milk (What they do with all that bread and milk is beyond me). I, however, bought items that would give us something to do together to have fun and keep Cava occupied (such as ingredients to make chocolate chip cookies). Yes, we did have milk for the cookies.



As the first flakes began to come down, we put out our bowl to make snow-cream. When the bowl was full, we brought it inside and fixed Cava his first ever snow-cream. He tasted it and declared it, "Yummy!"


We also listened to our favorite songs from Disney movies (Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid, and, of course, Frozen). So we danced and sang around the house. It's hard to hear "Hakuna Matata" and not think of when Cava first got here as he watched The Lion King almost every day and that was his favorite song from the movie.

Cava also used his day off to finish yet another in a long line of puzzles. This was yet another 1000 piece one. He never fails to amaze me by his love and ability for puzzles. Both of his grandmothers would have been proud. As he was putting this puzzle together and I was making the bed, I asked Cava, "If you found a bottle, rubbed it, and a genie came out and the genie said you could have one wish, but it couldn't be for more wishes, what would you wish for?"

"My family," he replied.

"But you have us already."

"Yes, but that was my wish."

Gotta' love that boy. I'm so thankful that his wish did come true.


But the boys couldn't stay inside for too long when there was snow out there to be enjoyed.


Here's Sponge-Cava Squarepants . . .


With that Spongebob mask on, he made me think of the lines from Robert Louis Stevenson's poem "Winter-time":

When to go out, my nurse doth wrap
Me in my comforter and cap;
The cold wind burns my face, and blows
Its frosty pepper up my nose.

How true! Well, except we don't have a nurse.

Cava enjoyed going down the snowy slide . . .


As the day progressed, more snow came down . . . 

And down . . .

And down . . .


Here's Cava and I doing our best impression of Luke and Han on the ice planet of Hoth . . .


Back inside, Cava wanted hot chocolate - with tiny marshmallows, of course!


Of course, with the kids home, that means they get exposed to different forms of music. Once the Disney soundtracks were done, I moved on to the classics: The Beatles (I danced with Cava as I sang "Got To Get You Into My Life" especially on the chorus: Oooo, then I suddenly see you. Ooooo, did I tell you I need you. Every single day of my life.  As I did, he told me, "You're a good singer, Papa." It pays to have the music playing loud enough that it overpowers my out-of-tune voice), Ella Fitzgerald, and no musical education is complete without some Hall & Oates (For the record, pun intended, Cava's favorite by this duo was "Out of Touch"). I thought it very appropriate that we listen to Icelandic group Sigur Rós as well as Fleet Foxes, especially their "White Winter Hymnal." For those of you who aren't "Indie hipsters" (as if the word "hipster" could ever be applied to myself) and are unfamiliar with the song, here's the video for it. I love their beautiful harmonies.



Since we've been having a great day together, I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings! 



No comments:

Post a Comment