Thursday, November 20, 2014

Cava On Being Adopted


Since it is National Adoption Month, I thought I'd let someone who knows this topic better than I do guest blog for me. So I talked to Cava for awhile and here is what he told me:

When I was in the boarding school in Ukraine, I wished that I could be in a family. I wanted a Mommy and Papa to love and take care of me. I always dreamed for a family but I never thought I would be in one.  I was so happy to be adopted so I could get out of the boarding school and never go back. I hated it there. No one cared if I was sad.  No one gave me a hug or told me they loved me.

When they asked me if I wanted to be in a family, I said, "YES!"

I was so happy that someone wanted me.

But I was scared, too.

I wanted to come to America but I did not know what it would be like. It was hard because I did not know what people were saying. It sounded like, "Blah, blah, blah." It made me mad because I didn't know and that people didn't understand me. It made me sad too. Sometimes I wanted to go back to Ukraine because I knew what they were saying.

I did not know what it was like to be loved. At first I did not believe that you and Mommy loved me. I wanted to be but I didn't know what I was supposed to do. But even when I was angry and I hit or kicked, you and Mommy and Benjamin loved me. It took me awhile to love you back.

Nobody had told me they loved me. Nobody told me I was good or smart. Nobody cared about my birthday. It was not special and I was not special. But now I am. People here love me. Mommy loves me, and Papa, and Benjamin, and Granddad Bob, and Aunt Kristen, and Aunt Tiana, and Mrs. Yulia, and Mr. Jack, and Mr. Philbeck, and Mrs. Cristy, and Mrs. Tuttle loves me. Lots of people love me. They think I am special.

I did not know about God in Ukraine. There was a church at the boarding school but they would not let kids come into it. Someone would stand on the steps sometimes and talk, but I didn't listen. When I came here, I learned about how God loves me. I learn about Jesus. I learn to pray.

In Ukraine, nothing was mine. Here I have my own room, my own clothes, my own books, my own toys, and my own dog. No one takes them away.

I get to go on trips like to the beach and to Disney World. I never thought I would go to such places.

I love being in a family because I am loved no matter what. I like getting kisses and being hugged and being told I'm special. When I grow up, I will adopt kids from other countries so they can know this, too.

1 comment:

  1. Cava, thank you for sharing your thoughts! We are happy for you and your family too and so glad to have met you ALL along the way!
    Mrs Bergstrom

    ReplyDelete