Friday, June 12, 2015

A Bigger World


Cava and I were on our way back home from Charlotte and had hit traffic. I don't deal well with traffic and I could definitely feel Cava's anxiety levels growing (as did our impatience). Knowing that I needed to take both of our attention off the traffic, I began to engage Cava by playing different games such as who could spot a plane first or a bird. This quickly began to relieve the tension and stress. As we saw a plane coming in for landing, I started to talk to Cava about flying here from Ukraine. Then I asked him, "Cava, how did your life change when you came here?"

He didn't answer right away or reply, "I don't know," as he usually does, but actually stopped and thought before answering, "My world got bigger."

"What do you mean?" I asked, curious as to what this meant to him.

"Before, in Ukraine, it was just the boarding school. Nothing else. Now there are so many other places I know about that I want to go to and I have more choices."

"Choices for what?"

"What I can be when I grow up or things like that. Life is better."

I loved this. I loved hearing that he saw his life now as an open door instead of one being slammed shut on him. He has opportunities he never had before and he sees that. By adopting Cava, we gave him more than just a family, we gave him dreams that he never had before because these dreams have the potential of coming true in a way that they never did before.

For him, this is no less magical than finding a magic wardrobe that's a door to Narnia.


As the author Victor Hugo wrote, "There is nothing like a dream to create the future." To that, I would also add, "There is nothing like a dream and the love of a family to create the future." And I am so thankful that we have been given the opportunity to be a part of this with him.


No comments:

Post a Comment